Sunday, February 22, 2009

the curious bark of benjamin button

It's that time, folks! Every year, my friend Venn hosts his annual Oscar party -- a chance for us pop-culture buffs and film-whores to gather, make merry and celebrate Hollywood in all its bloated, over-the-top-glory.

This is also a feasting occasion. Usually, the snackage is somehow tied into the nominated films of the year. I have pushed the limits of this with my Curious Bark of Benjamin Button . . . my own version of the super-junk-food-licious dessert made by my friend Chelsee over at We Are Not Martha.

Not only was this Bark a big crowd pleaser at the office, the "recipe" seemed idiot-proof enough for even moi to attempt!

Step 1 -- gather junk food on cookie sheet like so:


That would be a selection of smashed up Oreos, pretzels and M&Ms . . . you know, 3 of the 5 major food groups.


Step 2 -- Top your tray o' crap with melted chocolate:


The "chocolate" is actually melted candy-making wafers, that are surprisingly hard to find. Thank God.

Step 3 -- After tray of Bark has chilled in the fridge for a couple hours, break it down into small pieces:


Ok, I won't lie . . . I had to "sample" several pieces of Bark to make sure it "came out ok". It came out devine --but I'm about ready to spew now . . . a little of this goes a long way, my friends! Just like Brad Pitt in a Forrest Gump-rip-off. I think I've filled my Bark quota for the next 6 months. Pass the Tums, please.

Bark is now safely packaged and ready for partying:



I think I'll bring the rest of the Oreos and some "Milk" (like the movie . . . get it?) as an alternative sweet snack. Thank God I don't need to cram myself into a designer gown later!

No comments: