Monday, October 20, 2008

What's For Blinner?

Hey gang! After a fabulously relaxed week of vaycay, I'm back in action! My week off consisted of lots of merriment and self indulgence -- trips to the salon, the spa, the bar, and various eateries all over this fair city. Alas, now its back to reality -- but I think this little spell of downtime will keep me sane until the holidays!

So today was back to my regularly scheduled program - work, etc. Now, when I first made my big plans to say, "Adios Nutrisystem, hello kitchen!" -- I had some grand illusions of me cooking elaborate meals on Sundays to freeze for quick and easy weeknite dinners or pack as lunches throughout the week. Um . . . yeh. So I was lucky that I made it to the grocery store at all last nite, nevermind putting together a Sally Homemaker Weekly Menu. At first, I was feelin' a little lame about my lack of follow-thru . . . but Rome was not built in a day, people. Baby steps. Sooo -- last I did bake myself a couple of pieces of chicken with garlic to add to my lunch salads, and I made sure to stock up on yummy and satisfying grains, like oatmeal and quinoa and light rye bread. A hearty breakfast of Kashi Honey Grain puffs and a nice big apple kept me full all morning long, and the soy crisps I brought to go with my salad were crunchy and filling. I think I am definitely getting better and spreading out my snacks and meals throughout the day, which is a very good thing!

So when I got home tonight, I was hungry, but not starving. I started rooting around in the kitchen, browsing my grocery store stash to see what might catch my eye. The past couple of days I've been craving a big ol' sandwich . . or a hearty breakfast omlet. Must be the cold weather -- suddenly my body is like, "Quick -- pile on the hot and filling carbs!" So I decided to combine my love of breakfast with my love of sandwiches and created a "Faux Salmon Lox Omlet Sandwich . . . For Blinner." (like a breakfast-lunch-dinner three-way . . mmmmm!)

I scrambled some egg beaters with some salmon, spinach and tomato. I toasted 2 slices of light rye bread, and spread 'em with a wedge of light Laughing Cow cheese. I added a slice or two of fresh tomato, piled on my salmon-egg scramble -- and voila! Blinner is served!



Nothin' fancy . . . or difficult . . . or particularly creative . . . but I was impressed with my own ability to satisfy 2 cravings for heavy meals in one healthy swoop! Now by spring, if I can make this sammie with bread I made myself, farm fresh eggs and cheese, and some real salmon (not from a Chicken of the Sea packet) . . . I will have truly succeeded. But for now -- I'm just pleased that my microwave was not involved at all in the preparation of this meal.

No comments: